Monday, August 23, 2010

Marlboro County-Calhoun County Game/Prospect Thoughts

I was in Bennettsville, SC last Saturday night to take in the state's most hyped week zero match up.

Game Thoughts: Facing much tougher competition than normal, Calhoun County was over matched in every facet of the game. Marlboro County was up by three scores at halftime and rolled to a 34-12 victory. Depth issues, turnovers, and several special teams blunders were the main problems that contributed to Calhoun County's loss.  Marlboro County looked better than they did in preseason scrimmages, but it's still evident that they've taken a step back from previous years, especially on offense.

Prospect Thoughts: 

Marlboro County
Lateek Townsend- Townsend's play and behavior was exactly as I expected. This marked the eighth full game I've seen of him, so it's not like there was much I haven't seen. As usual, Townsend did more dancing and talking than actual playing.  He was probably more obnoxious than I've ever seen him, which is concerning. For more of my thoughts on Townsend as a player, scroll down to my rankings below (he's ranked number 12).

Sam Merriman- Merriman's play on Saturday helped him a bit in my eyes. Fresh off a transfer from Cheraw, Merriman finds himself playing out of position at safety for Marlboro County.  Saturday was the first time I've seen Merriman on the same field as Townsend, and it was evident that not only is Merriman bigger than Townsend, he's more instinctive and just a better overall football player at this point. The concern with Merriman is a number of off the field incidents that will more than likely hurt his recruitment. 

Malik Ford (2012 ATH)- Ford is the top 2012 prospect for Marlboro County. He's undersized at both WR and CB, but has shown a knack for making plays. Saturday's game was a mixed bag for Ford, as he had a nice return deep into Calhoun territory, but also had a would-be touchdown pass go off his chest. 

Calhoun County
Shamier Jeffery- I took a leap of faith last week when I was putting together my evaluation of Jeffery. After watching him play live for the first time in over a year, it seems that my gut may have been a bit off on this one. Saturday's game pretty much confirmed Jeffery is strictly a wide receiver on the next level.  While he has a nice arm, he struggled with decision-making and accuracy all night and just looked uncomfortable at QB.  I was also disappointed with his toughness at safety. I'll probably have to re-evaluate my ranking of Jeffery. Is he really better than Tony McNeal and Jerrell Adams? After Saturday, I'm doubtful.

Mark Irick (2012 WR)- Irick helped himself a little. Saturday was the first time I've seen him in person and he looked pretty good physically, as he's about 6'3 and is pretty long. He looked good catching the ball in limited opportunities and had a nice touchdown grab in the 3rd quarter where he caught a fade at its highest point over a Marlboro County defender.  

Javontae Brown (2012 DT)- Facing a larger offensive line than he's used to seeing, Brown didn't miss a beat and played well. Calhoun County's run defense was the bright spot for the Saints, and Brown played a large part in that. He was particularly active on a sequence of plays in the second quarter that saw Calhoun County stop Marlboro County on four consecutive run plays in the redzone, including a fourth and short attempt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment